Sometimes I get tired of the same rotation of side dishes when grilling…corn on the cob, baked beans, fruit. Don’t get me wrong, they are all delicious, but occasionally you just need to shake it up a bit. This potato salad is super easy, taking about 15 minutes to make, and can be served warm or chilled, both equally as good. I prefer it warm. My husband prefers it cold. To each their own.
A good alternative to an all-mayo based or an all-vinegar based potato salad, this recipe encompasses the creaminess and tanginess of both, while resembling neither. The onions give it a little crunch, the chilies give it a little bite, the citrus juice gives it a little punch, and the beans give it the creamy texture. Together…perfection.
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup vegan refried beans (I use Amy’s Organic Traditional Refried Beans)
- ¼ cup vegan mayo (I use Earth Balance Mindful Olive Oil Mayo)
- 1 tablespoon green chilies, chopped
- ½ tomato, gutted, peeled, and chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- juice from 1/2 lime
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- chives, to garnish
1. Wash and quarter the potatoes. Boil uncovered in salted water for 5 – 7 minutes until cooked through and soft. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine refried beans, mayo, green chilies, tomato, green onions, red onion, cilantro, lemon juice, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir well.
3. Add drained potatoes to the bowl and stir gently, but thoroughly. Serve warm or place the salad in the refrigerator to cool and serve chilled. Garnish with chopped chives.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture using #gingerveganista on Instagram and tag @TheGingerVeganista or Twitter and tag @GingerVeganista or Facebook and tag The Ginger Veganista. Can’t wait to hear from you!