First of all, when your ingredients look like this, you know you’re onto something amazing…
This salad is so beautiful. The fresh beet flavor really shines and is enhanced with the light sesame dressing. A truly divine plant-based dish!
The prep work is hard and can get messy…those red beets can make your kitchen (and your hands) look like a murder scene! I am prepared now, though, and line my workstation with paper towels and use gloves while grating. Your hard work will pay off, though, when you finally get to sit down and enjoy a yummy bowl of goodness
- 3 medium red beets, washed, trimmed, peeled, and shredded (yields approximately 2 cups)
- 3 medium golden beets, washed, trimmed, peeled, and shredded (yields approximately 2 cups)
- 4 medium carrots, washed, trimmed, peeled, and shredded (yields approximately 1 cup)
- 2 cups kale, washed and chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, roasted, white and/or black
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 small shallot, grated or finely minced
1. Make the sauce first to allow time for the flavors to meld. Grate the garlic and shallot over a small bowl. I prefer to grate, which allows them to dissolve into the sauce, but it you don’t have a grater or microplane, a fine mince will do. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sesame oil, and maple syrup. Stir well.
2. Wash all veggies to remove any dirt. Trim, peel, and shred the beets and carrots. Place the shredded veggies in a cheesecloth or paper towel and squeeze to drain excess moisture. Trim and chop the kale. Slice the green onions. Place all veggies into a large bowl and toss to mix well.
3. Pour the sauce over the salad and toss to coat the veggies. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture using #gingerveganista on Instagram and tag @TheGingerVeganista or Twitter and tag @GingerVeganista or Facebook and tag The Ginger Veganista. Can’t wait to hear from you!
2 Comments Add yours
Truly is beautiful! I need to give this salad a try! yum!
Yes, please do!! And don’t forget to tell me what you thought!