Sometimes you just need a good hearty pasta dish…and sometimes you just need your kids to EAT SOME FREAKING VEGETABLES ALREADY!!! Well, at least this fills both requirements; I got my yummy pasta and my kids unknowingly ate spinach, mushrooms, onions, beans, and tofu. And everyone loved them, no questions asked. Parenting win.
- 26 large pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 6 cups baby spinach, washed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 package extra firm tofu, 14 oz, drained
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the shells. Boil until aldente, then drain and set aside.
3. In a high powered blender or Vitamix, blend beans, tofu, nutritional yeast, and salt on high until smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
4. In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another 3-4 minutes until both are soft. Add the mushrooms, baby spinach, and oregano. Sauté, stiring often, until the spinach is wilted. When fully cooked, add to the bean/tofu mixture and stir until fully combined.
5. Pour a thin layer of marinara evenly on the bottom of a casserole dish. Fill each shell with a generous spoonful of the filling mixture and place in the casserole dish. Repeat until all shells are full. Drizzle marinara sauce on top, as well as an extra drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Sprinkle with salt. Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture using #gingerveganista on Instagram and tag @TheGingerVeganista or Twitter and tag @GingerVeganista or Facebook and tag The Ginger Veganista. Can’t wait to hear from you!